Game Beaten: Final Fantasy VII
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 20:39
This time without the asterisk. I did it legit on original console and discs. And frankly, I realize it's not such a big deal because it's a pretty easy game.
...atleast if you abuse Tifa and her Powersoul weapon together with the Deathblow=Added Cut materia. Pair that with the Curse Ring and critical HP and you got a lean mean killing lady doing 2 attacks, one doing 16X damage (or nothing) and one doing 8X damage.
I think those are the values anyway, I believe a critical does 2X, Death Sentence + Powersoul does 4X, and Critical HP does another 2X.
So you get 2x(2x4)X damage. I think that's how it works. It's really OP anyway. Towards the end I got 9999+7000 attacks regularly.
But that's pretty much all there is to say. For all my other thoughts see my asterisk post where I beat the game the first time.
I think my thoughts remain mostly the same but here are some thoughts I'm thinking right now:
- The music is still amazing. There aren't really any song I don't wanna listen to. Some of my favorites are (in no particular order): Birth of God, Cosmo Canyon, Cid's Theme, Fiddle de Chocobo, Who Am I, Cry of the Planet, Underneath the Rotting Pizza, Oppressed People, Don of the Slums, Still More Fighting, Motorcycle Chase, Main Theme (kinda makes me cry at times), Rufus Welcoming Ceremony, Forested Temple, Buried in the Snow, Weapon Raid, Judgement Day... yeah basically all of them
- Game is rapidly climbing up my “best games of all time” list. It's definitively top 20, probably top 10... probably top 5. Maybe top 3?
- Game is still so fun. Just trying different Materia combinations and testing them out and going WOW at the result. And then looking online for other combos and being like "oh, that's smart".
- I care less and less about Aerith in this original game. Still in love with her in the Remake though..... Ugh I dread next part of the Remake, but I'm also very excited for it because there are a lot of parts I want to see how they'll do.
- This playthrough was loosely based on the speedrun done at SGDQ2017, with the Deathblow and all. I basically watched that run a couple of weeks ago to learn some strats and why Deathblow is OP, and then I played it for myself now using my memory from last time and my memory of the run. This means I skipped a lot of optional content (Yuffie, Vincent, Wutai etc.). As much as I like the game maybe I'll do another playthrough and "100%" it (which is what I did on the PS4).
- I can't wait for COVID to be over so my brother can come over and I'm just gonna hand him the controller and load my Northern Cave save file tell him to use Deathblow and he'll finally get to beat Sephiroth. I still haven't figured out why he got stuck, maybe the Save Crystal glitch happened so he couldn't go out and get supplies?
Since I was playing the game very casually on my TV without a capture card, and the PS1 doesn't have a SHARE button, I don't really have any screenshots as proof, but here, take these phone photos:
I started playing the game through Composite through a Retrotink 2x, but here I had switched to the OSSC and a RGB cable. You can tell the text is a lot clearer.