Games I Beat In 2016 (and GOTY 2016)
Thu 29 Dec 2016, 16:02
Pretty damn sure I won't beat any more games this year unless a miracle happens. I have really no interest in casually playing video games right now.
I didn't beat a ton of games in 2016. I felt like I did, but I really didn't. I spent most time working and watching Friends instead.
Like last year, here's the format
- My Score
- Some words that I wrote about the game when I finished it, usually on my phone in a quick and dirty matter
On some games I will provide a comment written now, at the end of 2016/in retrospect, where I see fit.
Mega Man 3 (NES)
- 22 Jan
- Pretty great. Slide moves makes it more dynamic than MM2. Kinda lazy by the developers to reuse bosses from MM2 (and MM1) though.
Probably my favorite NES game to play all year. I still load it up on my Everdrive from time to time and play it. Not the last levels though, just the robot masters. I also learned to speedrun it, kinda...
Tom Clancy's The Division (PC)
- 19 Mar
- Very, very repetitive. Once you accept that it's pretty fun.
- I was worried about it being a cover based shooter but you don't have to use cover, it's just a bit harder without.
- The graphics are mediocre, nothing special (I played it on PC with high settings), the sound effects are very good, the background music/noise is boring/non-existent - I definetely preferred playing this game with a stream or Simpsons episode on the side or listening to a podcast in the background.
- To summarize: If Destiny was on PC I would've played that instead.
Haven't touched it since 19 Mar
GTA 4 (PS3)
- 31 Mar
- Finally decided to play through it after hating on it so much, and my complaints are still intact: the vehicle physics are awful and the environment and colors are very dark and depressing. But! If you stop bitching about the floaty physics and the depressing mood and start actually playing, it's a really great GTA game!
- The story is great, not the best as some people claim, but it's great. I liked the missions quite a bit, sure most of them were just go to X and kill Y, but the dialogue and combat made it all good, just like the other GTA games. The humor and radio stations are all great too.
- I played it on the PS3 so I can complain about the framerate and resolution but that's just part of the PS3 experience, and these aren't issues on the PC version.
I kinda feel like playing this game again sometimes. I miss parts of it. It was fun.
- 8 May
- Very proud to have this on the list because when I bought it, I wasn't expecting to be able to put it on this list!
- It was a fun game once you got going. The first main boss made me want to return the game, but once I beat him after 10-20 tries, I thought the rest of the game was much more fun and the difficulty was more reasonable. Maybe it was just because I had gotten used to the game.
- The environments are great, the sounds are great, the music is suiting and epic.
- Things I can complain about are some of the translations and some of the UI. For example you couldn't compare gear before buying it. I wrote down what stats the gear I was gonna potentially buy had, on paper, and compared them to what I currently had.
I cannot believe I beat it. I tried playing it again a week or so ago and I got slammed. I didn't stand a chance. I have very fond memories of it though and I miss playing it.
- 14 May
- Interesting story, nice graphics, good sounds.
- Only thing I can really complain about is all the invisible walls and I don't see myself playing it through again. It was kind of like a movie.
I was gonna get the _Limited Run Games copy for PS4 but I didn't. Shipping was too much. I really liked the graphics in this game though, I miss them._
Uncharted 4 (PS4)
- 10 Sep
- Visually, the best looking game I have ever played. Yes it's 30 fps but when a game looks and feels fantastic, it's fantastic.
- Was kind of hard to get into the game, but after a few chapters I was really hoooked. But then I lost the hook and took like a week break. When I came back I just wanted it to be over.
- After that, I took another week break and went back to play some of my favorite chapters and I had a blast again. It's just some chapters that are a bit stale.
- Gameplay was fun when it was nice and linear and you basically just ran and pressed X. I enjoyed the puzzles too.
- Story was kinda meh. It was just kind of ridiculous. The characters were great though, and the Epilogue was heartwarming somehow. I wanna give that chapter alone a 5/5.
- Haven't played the other Uncharted games (even tho I have the PS4 collection), and I don't intend to.
This game ruined The Last Of Us for me. I cannot play that game anymore, the controls are too stiff. I still play UC4 from time to time. I go back and play some of my favorite levels here and there.
Destiny Rise of Iron (PS4)
Haven't played Destiny since.
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
- 5 Oct
- Fun, good music, decent graphics, memorable levels, fair challenge. Probably my new favorite SNES game.
I tried DKC 2 but I really hate it.
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4)
- 4/5 (SP)
- 29 Oct
- The remake is good, nothing to complain about there.
- The single player was not that fun though. MW2 had more memorable missions. Only memorable missions of MW are ofcourse the Pripyat sniper missions.
- I ended up getting Platinum trophy for it. Pretty fun.
- Multiplayer is fantastic. It's just as chaotic as the original.
I still play this. Not often, but if I feel like playing a multiplayer game - it's this one. I like it.
Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare (PS4)
- 4/5 (SP)
- 6 Nov
- Very short campaign (if you only do the main missions) but a damn fine one. If I didn't have a big backlog at the moment I would probably replay it.
- Being in space was weird at first at all but it turned out to be great.
- The story itself wasn't that great (on the other hand I skipped all cutscenes) but the events along the way were great and almost brought out feelings
- Multiplayer is a bit too complicated and busy for me. I haven't played it much.
Haven't touched since I beat it. I tried playing some multiplayer again but it's way too weird.
- 12 Nov
- I had a very hard time getting into this game. Once I figured out you could see all the secrets and such on the map if you upgraded your suit it became more fun, as I enjoyed finding these secrets.
- The final boss was a bit boring.
- Graphics are nice and colorful. Sound is good. Music is awful when it has that dubstep thing going on. The metal songs were great though.
- PS4 has very long load times which is very annoying, but I don't think this is a problem on PC.
- Have not touched MP.
Haven't touched since I beat it, but I miss playing it. It was really fun in retrospect.
Battlefield 1 (PS4)
- 16 Nov
- Very mediocre
- Last mission (#5) was fantastic though and really, really fun. Reminded me alot of MGS5.
- Haven't played MP much.
Haven't touched since I beat it.
Titanfall 2 (PS4)
- 4 Dec
- Very pretty game. It's slightly uglier than Uncharted 4, but runs at 60 fps, so they're kind of equal in that department.
- Single player was fun and fast paced. I didn't really understand the story but whatever. Something about an ark? Pretty short too (I submitted 5h to howlongtobeat.com)
- Gameplay is fun. Trying out different weapons and jumping in and out of the titan to dominate is fun. Running on walls and parkouring is fun (probably the most fun part actually)
- BT was a really good character. Funny to have conversations with.
- Of CODIW, BF1 and TF2, this was my favorite single player.
I get really frustrated at the Gauntlet... I have tried so many times to get that trophy for it but it just won't happen. I broke my PS4 controller over it. Good game otherwise.
Super Mario Run (iOS)
I still play this game and I enjoy it quite a bit. Probably the best mobile game I have played?
- Overwatch - I played it a lot when it was new with a friend and had fun, but then I realized it has all the problems that Team Fortress 2 has and I stopped playing it and I never wanna play it again. Bad game.
- The Last of Us: Remastered - I have gotten quite far in it, and I could beat it before new years but I just can't. I can't get hooked to that game anymore and I am more just frustrated over how clunky the controls are. I really hope TLOU 2 will have the gameplay mechanics and control of Uncharted 4, but the story of TLOU. That would be really sweet.
Game Of The Year
Of the games that came out this year, it's Uncharted 4, with CODMWR at a very close second.
If I can pick a game that didn't come out this year, it's Bloodborne. I really miss playing it, but at the same time I am glad I beat it so I don't have to prove anything anymore.